Summers are one of my favourite seasons because of the amazing fruits we get in this season. One of them is Stone- Fruits like plums, peaches, nectarine, apricots & cherries. Being a Himachali, I have had the pleasure of having all of the above straight from the trees and as we used to have loads of them lying around our home, experimenting with them was but obvious. The best way used to be to make a dessert out of them and one of them is a Galette.
I feel of all the spices, cinnamon is one such spice which goes beautifully with most of the fruits in a dessert. Its just the natural sweetness of cinnamon that it makes it the best accompaniment.
I baked a Plum & Almond Galette with a cinnamon crust and a cinnamon glaze. Trust me the aroma around the home when it was in the oven was to die for. We enjoyed it with a scoop of rich vanilla icecream and a cup of coffee. Absolute Dessert Heaven 😇
Plum & Almond Galette with Cinnamon Crust
For the pie crust
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour/ maida
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds ground to a fine powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 150 gm butter cut into small cubes- chilled
- 1/3 cup ice cold water
For the filling
- 200-250 gm sliced plums( get the sweetest kind you can)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
For the glaze
- 1/4 cup golden syrup/maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2-3 drops vanilla essence
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon powder
For the garnish
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp fine castor sugar
- A few almond flakes
How is it made
The pastry for the crust
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a food processor.
- Add in the butter and pulse till the butter has mixed with the flour and small pea size butter balls are left.
- Quickly add in the water and pulse again till the dough comes together roughly.
- Spread a large piece of cling film on the kitchen counter & empty the dough onto it.
- Form a small – tight disk of the dough.
- Cover with the cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes roll out the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper, into a circle of around 10-11 inch diameter and 1 cm thickness.
To assemble the galette
- Spread the almond flour on the crust leaving a 1 inch border on the sides.
- Carefully arrange the sliced plums over the almonds.
- Gently fold up the corners of the crust to secure the corners- don’t worry you don’t need to be perfect.
- Mix together all the glaze and brush all over the plums.
- Brush the crust with milk and sprinkle the sugar on top.
- Finely arrange the almond flakes over the plums.
- Transfer onto a baking tray and bake in a preheat oven at 180°C for 30-40 minutes or till the crust is golden brown.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring the galette onto the serving tray.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.