Summers are a time that you need to stay hydrated. Although nothing beats a glass of chilled water, you do crave for a tangy refreshing drink now & then.
Few days back I made Karonda Pickle and was left with a cup of karonda. I didn’t want to throw them & was wondering how to utilise them. Thats when I thought of experimenting with a new drink.
Karonda have a sour flavour to them and I wanted to use that tanginess without the raw taste. So I boiled them and passed the concoction through a sieve. I added a little honey to it for sweetness, but it needed something more. So in came the lychees into the recipe. I blitz a handful of lychee in the mixer, passed it through a sieve & added it yo the karonda mix. The result was a flavourful pink drink perfect for summers.
You can easily switch the honey for sugar or can skip it altogether depending on how sweet are the lychees.
Karonda Lychee Cooler
- 1 cup Karonda
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lychee- seeds removed
- 2 tbsp honey/sugar
- Additional water & ice cubes to serve
How is it made
- Wash & dry the karonda properly.
- Then cut them into half and remove the seeds
- Boil the karonda with water on medium flame till tender- takes around 15-16 minutes.
- Slightly mash the karonda and add in the honey.
- Pass it through a sieve and allow to cool.
- Blitz the lychee in a mixer and then strain through a sieve.
- Once the Karonda juice is cool- add in the lychee juice & mix well.
- To serve, fill a glass with some ice cubes, and 2 tbsp water. Pour the juice concentrate on top and mix well.
- Serve chilled.