I absolutely love the sweet-sour combination of flavours. As a kid I remember sharing my lunch with friends and some of them used to get this yumm jammy chutney… I always pestered my mom to make it… but somehow she never did☹️. After some time I forgot about it.
If you guys follow me on instagram, you know I’ve done a mini series on achaars ie pickles. It was then that I could literally just feel the flavour of that chutney on my palette and knew I had to make it. Gave it a try, and it turned out exactly as I had imagined.
It’s definitely not for the diet-conscious as it has quite a lot of sugar, but its soo soo good! I made a small jar and lets see how long does it last.
Do give it a try and let me know your thoughts on it.
Sweet Tomato Chutney
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 2-3 dried red chillies
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp kalonji
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cups diced red tomatoes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp tamarind pulp (optional)
How is it made
- Smoke the oil and allow it to cool.
- Reheat the oil, add in the chillies and bay leaf.
- Sauté for 15-20 seconds.
- Then add in the kalonji & ginger, sauté for 15-20 seconds.
- Add in the tomatoes and mix well.
- Cover & allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes or till tender.
- Once the tomatoes are tender, mash them a little with the back of your spatula.
- Add in the sugar, salt & tamarind(if using) and give it a good mix.
- Cover & cook on medium-low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook on low flame for 7-8 minutes- stirring occasionally to keep it from catching the bottom of the pan.
- The chutney will thicken and look like a melted jam, it means its ready.
- Let it cool completely and then transfer to sterilised bottles.
- Store in the fridge for upto 2 weeks.