Today I bring to you the 7th recipe in my GET FIT series.
As Indians we people love our spicy tangy street food. But when watching your diet these are waay out of your reach as they are mostly deep fried. This is my humble attempt to healthify one such dish- Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Vada.
These vadas are made using Whole Moong Daal & Oats. Moong daal are a rich source of protein, antioxidants, help reduce cholesterol-blood pressure & sugar levels. They also aid in weight loss as they give you a feeling of being for longer. Oats are rich in fibre, thus keep you full for longer and aids in weight loss. They also help control blood sugar levels and cholesterol.
Use of the appam pan makes them no fry- like literally 1 tsp oil to make around 18 vadas. And that too drains off in the water. I like to have them as a meal in itself as they are quite filling.
Do try them and let me know how they turned out.
No Fry Moong Daal Oats Dahi Vada
For the Vadas
- 3/4 cup Moong Daal
- 1/2 cup instant oats
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water for soaking the daal
- 2/3 cup water for the batter
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups water to soak the vadas
- Green chutney
- Tamarind chutney
- Coriander leaves
- Pomegranate pearls
- Curd mixed with salt
How is it Made
- Wash & soak the daal in warm water for 4-5 hours.
- Grind the oats to a fine powder.
- After 5 hours drain all the water from the daal.
- Grind together the daal, green chillies, ginger, salt & 1/2 cup water yo a fine batter.
- Add in the oats & 1/4 cup water & mix well.
- Add in the baking soda- give it a good mix & cover & set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat an appam pan and brush it with oil.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of batter into each mould, cover & cook on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Carefully flip each vada, cover & cook for 1 more minute on medium flame.
- Flip once more until the vadas are crisp from outside.
- Take them out of the appam pan.
- Soak the vadas in hot water for 5 minutes. Flip & allow to soak for 2 more minutes.
- Carefully squeeze the water from each vada & allow to cool.
- To assemble top with some curd, green chutney, tamarind chutney, coriander leaves & pomegranate pearls. You can also add some chaat masala if you wish.
- Serve immediately.