Moving on to the 6th recipe in our GET FIT series
We all know that Soya Beans or Soy are one of the richest vegetarian source of protein. This makes it every diet followers best friend. Apart from protein , Soy Beans are also rich in Iron and fibre.
Baked beans are a classic dish that is loved by all with a crispy toast. However, a classic baked beans has loads of molasses and sugars which definitely don’t qualify as your healthy diet companions. This version uses minimal oil, lots of tomatoes and some spices to give these beans a great flavour.
Enjoy them with toasted bread or low fat potatoes for your carb fix.
- 1 cup soy beans
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp herbs
- 1 tsp honey
How is it Made
- Wash & Soak the beans overnight or for 8 hours on 2 cups hot water.
- Pressure cook the beans with 1 tsp salt and 1 more cup of water till soft.( 5 whistles)
- Heat oil, add the garlic & onion & sauté till onion begins to change colour.
- Add in the bell peppers and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the tomato purée and mix well.
- Cover & let it simmer on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add salt to taste, red chilli powder, cumin powder, soy sauce, honey, herbs & 1/2 cup water.
- Mix well & transfer to an oven proof bowl.
- Bake at 200C for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with toasted bread.